Frequently Asked Questions

What is KKDS-LP's broadcast area?

As a Low-Power FM radio service, the FCC limits our Effective Radiated Power to 100 Watts which is a whole lot less than regular stations in Humboldt County. However, our location and antenna allow us to get out further than you might think. Our signal is much stronger if you are listening in a car and we have received listener reports from Trinidad to Scotia and east past Blue Lake! Our signal is strongest, however, in Eureka and Arcata. See the map at the bottom of this page for our "protected contour" area map provided by the FCC.

What kind of programming will you play?

Well, that depends on what our audience wants to hear! As a youth and community radio station, we are trying hard to make sure that you'll hear something on our station that interests you whether it's a locally-created radio drama, some music you've never heard before, or a documentary about some oft-overlooked niche in our community. We are currently in the process of finding some local talent to create the first KKDS radio programs so please contact us if you'd like to get involved.

Will you be streaming your programming over the internet?

We are very close to streaming thanks to the dedication and hard work of many Blue Ox Radio Supporters! The technological problems we had over the winter set us back, but we expect to be streaming very soon.

I heard a great song while listening to your station, can you tell me who the artist was?

We're glad you are discovering new music through our station! If you contact us with the date and time you heard the song (or as best a description of it as you can manage), we'll do our best to look through our logs to find out what the song was.

My band is awesome! Will you play our CD?

Playing music by local artists is one of our top priorities. If you'd like us to include your music in our on-air broadcast, please mail a CD to:

KKDS - Blue Ox Youth and Community Radio
Attn: Music Guru
1 "X" St.
Eureka, CA 95501

When you send the CD, please also include a short written description of your band, the track listing for the CD, the track numbers for one or two songs you really want to be played on the air (i.e. your singles), the track numbers for songs that are not ok to play on the air (that include swearing or inappropriate material), and your contact information. If your music is not covered by ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC, then we may also ask you to sign a Broadcast License Agreement to show that we have permission to play your material on the air.

After receiving your CD, it will be reviewed by one of our volunteers before being added to our music library. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

FCC 60 dBu Protected Area Contour Map for KKDS-LP

FCC's 60 dBu protected area contour map